Some secrets set you free
Charlotte and Richard are newly married with World War One raging on in France. As her husband is increasingly distant with her, Charlotte finds herself drawn into her young sister, Rose’s life as she begins to suspect her sister of receiving a mystery visitor to her home, while her husband is away fighting on the Western Front.
Attempting to uncover her sister’s secret and as her own health suffers, Charlotte, realises the danger they all face if the secret is revealed. But the mystery visitor holds the key to retrieving Charlotte’s memory temporarily lost. Should she accept such help or do her patriotic duty as her country expects of her?
In this heart warming tale, Kathryn Barnett masterfully captures the pull of sisterly ties, the intrigue of small-town speculation, and the nostalgia of times long past. Cages of the Heart is a poignant tale of marriage and resilience, set against the backdrop of World War One England.
Author
Interview
What inspired you to write Cages of the heart?
I wanted to write a home front novel set during WW1 as I find that such an interesting period of history for women being involved in the war effort and still harbouring the hope of winning their right to vote. I also love the Regency town of Lymington, the setting of my novel, which is located near to my home and has so much history of its own, including one of its big houses having been converted into a Red Cross military hospital during the Great War.
I wanted to write a home front novel set during WW1 as I find that such an interesting period of history for women being involved in the war effort and still harbouring the hope of winning their right to vote. I also love the Regency town of Lymington, the setting of my novel, which is located near to my home and has so much history of its own, including one of its big houses having been converted into a Red Cross military hospital during the Great War.
How did you decide the personalities of your
characters?
I had been sitting with Charlotte and Rose as the two sisters for a while, so I knew all about Charlotte’s assertive ways with her young sister, and Rose not afraid to stand up to Charlotte. But I also wanted to show the vulnerable side of Charlotte, when everything she has built around her starts to tumble and her mental health deteriorates as a consequence. I was genuinely surprised by the Charlotte that emerged and it was a joy to write her story and keep readers guessing how it would all end.
I had been sitting with Charlotte and Rose as the two sisters for a while, so I knew all about Charlotte’s assertive ways with her young sister, and Rose not afraid to stand up to Charlotte. But I also wanted to show the vulnerable side of Charlotte, when everything she has built around her starts to tumble and her mental health deteriorates as a consequence. I was genuinely surprised by the Charlotte that emerged and it was a joy to write her story and keep readers guessing how it would all end.
What themes do you most want readers to take away
from your book?
How even the most put together person like Charlotte, struggles, saying she’s okay, when she’s not and how her breaking point shows how a community can go about supporting her and confirming it is all right to ask for help in difficult times.
How even the most put together person like Charlotte, struggles, saying she’s okay, when she’s not and how her breaking point shows how a community can go about supporting her and confirming it is all right to ask for help in difficult times.
Is there a character whose choices you especially
wanted readers to understand?
Without revealing any spoilers Charlotte finds herself doing the unthinkable, but I wanted to show the confusion and memory loss associated with her behaviour during postpartum.
Without revealing any spoilers Charlotte finds herself doing the unthinkable, but I wanted to show the confusion and memory loss associated with her behaviour during postpartum.
What was the most challenging part of writing the
book?
Delving into the theme of memory loss, which my mum suffers from, I leaned heavily on her representation of the confusion and loss of own identity to get into Charlotte’s story arc which was empowering, but also traumatic for me at times.
Delving into the theme of memory loss, which my mum suffers from, I leaned heavily on her representation of the confusion and loss of own identity to get into Charlotte’s story arc which was empowering, but also traumatic for me at times.
Let’s add some fun!
What’s your favourite food?
I’m a bit of a chocolate addict.
I’m a bit of a chocolate addict.
What is your best part of the day?
Early mornings with the sun rising and all the hope of what the day will bring.
Early mornings with the sun rising and all the hope of what the day will bring.
Would you rather live in a haunted mansion or
live in an un-haunted cottage?
I would choose a cosy, un-haunted cottage.
I would choose a cosy, un-haunted cottage.
Read by the fireplace or beach?
By the fireplace with a hot chocolate in hand!
By the fireplace with a hot chocolate in hand!
Last, but not least
Where can readers find out more about you and
your books?
Readers can connect with me on my website kathrynbarnettauthor.com and also on my social media handle @kittibarnett3 on Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), and Threads and on TikTok at @kathrynbarnett620
Readers can connect with me on my website kathrynbarnettauthor.com and also on my social media handle @kittibarnett3 on Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), and Threads and on TikTok at @kathrynbarnett620
I’m an indie author from Hampshire, England. I write historical fiction focusing at present on the 20th century. My books are thought-provoking stories about sisters, love and what it means to be a woman. I have one standalone novel published and with Cages of the Heart, I’m working on self-publishing my Three Sisters serial focusing on women’s lives during the Great War.
Aside from writing I am a full-time caregiver to my mum. I enjoy walks by the sea and time spent away from home in one of my local coffee shops.
Author Links
