by Nikita Gill
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Pub Date: September 15, 2026
Genre: Adult, Mythology, Retelling
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Book Links: Goodreads Amazon Bookshop
Beginning
a generation before Hekate , Styx sings the story of the goddess of the underworld river that bears her
name…
The firstborn child of Titans, Styx is revered as the first of her kind – until
she is eclipsed and forgotten amid her scores of siblings, the Oceanids and the
Potamoi.
Coming of age in a world simmering with paranoia and unspoken fear of Zeus, the
volatile and unchecked god-king, Styx learns to conceal the rage ignited by her
growing disillusionment with her parents and her vain and unkind siblings.
Instead, she finds solace and sisterhood in her cousin, Asteria. Together, they
train in the arts of creation and magic. And as they seek to learn their divine
purpose and their place within the Titanomachy, they discover both the joy
sparked by true love and the fierce resilience birthed from motherhood.
In this lyrical and heartrending tale of sisterhood, identity, love, and war,
Styx must carve her own path to womanhood – and ultimately, godhood.
My Review: LOVE THIS!
I'm pretty sure no one else can give me a Greek Mythology Retelling like this and I'm forever going to read the next by Nikita, she is just THAT good!
Styx was wonderfully done.
Styx started off an an only child and all was well. Least as well as it could go since many judge her for being different and her looks. But when her parents had MANY more children she was basically all but forgotten about. Only called on when she has to help her mother through another birth or her father with building his rivers. Otherwise she kinda just existed.
Styx truly starting coming alive again when she stumbled upon a cave where she would end up having a true friendship with her cousin and together they discovered they could do things and work together to harness and learn this power. I loved watching Styx finally have someone on her side through it all and she and Asteria truly have a bond anyone would want to have.
Then Styx is hit with news that she is going to be married to a god. One she didn't know or even agree to such things. I LOVED watching her stand up for herself and she should have really stood her ground even more instead of holding back. Let those around her have something to say, You don't ignore someone until its convenient for you and basically use them to your advantage. Nopeeee. I don't like that.
Lucky for Styx and even Asteria, they both end up falling in love and having something truly meaningful.
All this and SO MUCH more happened and its just at the halfway point.
I devoured this book so quickly. The entire story, characters, pace, etc. all of it was just amazing and I fell in love with this retelling right from the start. I can't wait to see who the next retelling will be about. I think I found my absolute favorite Greek Mythology retelling author and can't wait to make everyone I know read this.
